Monday, May 03, 2010

oNe SeNTeNCe BooK ReVieWS

It's that time again, folks.  Break out the wine and let's start the book club.  Here are my one sentence book reviews for April:

UNDER THE DOME By Stephen KIng
Reading this I was thinking "It's no longer true that since Steve went walking alongside that road in Maine and got smoked by a truck that he can't write a decent book"  because it took me right back to the good old days of THE STAND; a classic end-of-the-world-good-vs.-evil long story except in this book people have cell phones.

SHANGHAI GIRLS By Lisa See
A great book about two sisters who leave Shanghai in 1937 and come to Los Angeles in arranged marriages-- begins with a POW! WHAM! ZAP! but ends with what should have been a page that says TO BE CONTINUED......


THE GIRL WHO FELL FROM THE SKY By Heidi Durrow
I absolutely loved PRECIOUS and I thought this book would be somewhat similar: girl succeeds despite all adversity but sadly she does not so it was like PRECIOUS  except it had absolutely none of the uplifting stuff and for gosh sakes I hope that's the last book I read for awhile in which everybody I love dies.  (You're Welcome.)


I would have read more, but the Stephen King novel weighed 50 lbs. itself.

What are you reading?

6 comments:

Krëg said...

Your blog. Duh!

WV: reeno
A suburb of Reno that is even crappier. If that's possible.

Something Happened Somewhere Turning said...

I got Under the Dome for my birthday and if I could lift it up I might read it.
I like Kregs WV. We passed through Reno three weeks ago and it looked like a ghost town. It was like there was a post apocalypse. The place is all but boarded up.

heavenisabookstore said...

Steven King book is on my list, but it is a bit big and I have a list a mile long just sitting waiting to be read. Right now reading Almost Home by Pam Jenoff.

Jen said...

I'm reading Jane Slayer. I just read Jane Eyre a month or so ago, so I thought this was fitting. I love that she is a vampire slayer and I'm very interested to see how Mr. Rochester fits into all this.

rpc said...

I just finished the Magicians by Lev Grossman. It is a cross between Harry Potter and the Narnia Chronicles but with all of the happiness omitted. I wanted to slap the dysfunctional characters and tell them to grow up and get a life.

LuckyMe said...

The Help is the best book I've read since Kiterunner.