Friday, September 26, 2008

Another 365 Day Journey Around The Sun Begins

I have often accused my fabulous Sister in Law, Debbie, of being a Pack Rat. I tease her about the fact that she keeps a plastic container full of old greeting cards. An entire bunch are from her First Baby Shower; WHICH WAS IN 1989.

I am an apartment dweller. We Save Nothing. ( I need every square inch of space in which to accumulate toys my children don't need. Like the mini trampoline. Or the fur real life-size Pony. But I digress.)

Debbie says I would be singing a different tune about saving All Things Sentimental if I only had an ATTIC or a BASEMENT or even a GARAGE. And this morning, for the first time, I thought she might be right. Because on this, the fifteenth anniversary of my thirtieth year, I was presented with these beauties......

From CBoy
HAVE A PENUT BRTHDAY


And look how accurately he captured what the ravages of time have done to my good looks! (Do those two lines indicate chicken skin at the neck area?)

CBoy suggested I read it again after a few glasses of wine, the same way I approached the dramatic reading of FROG AND TOAD ARE FRIENDS the other night: because the W on my shirt (that would be W for WAKY) transforms to M for MOM when the card is held upside down.

Next it was The Banana's turn. "What a Wonderful Job of Cutting!!" I exclaimed. "What a Great Choice of Blue! What an Amazing use of Markers! What Fabulous Doodles!"


"O Momma." She said, disappointed. "You didn't mention the best part. LOOK...PURPLE DUCT TAPE." And while it doesn't show well in this picture, there is indeed a wide swath of purple duct tape--kindly provided by The Spawn as a possible solution to the chicken skin at my neckline?

But my favorite part of her card is the subliminal message "GAAW" that she has hidden in the scribbles which accurately describes how I feel about this particular milestone---GAAW! GAAW! GAAW! My very spit gets caught in my throat at the thought. Then again, I can't complain about another birthday when I consider the alternative. Better to be older than dirt than dirt that is old, I always say, in my WAKY way.

15 comments:

Jen said...

My daughter's 13th birthday is next week and I am so going to wish her a penut birthday.

Both of those drawings are sublime, especially the eyeball popping out of your head. I think your son knows exactly how you're feeling about your birthday.

Miss Thystle said...

HAPPPPPYYYY BIIIRTTHDAYYY TOOO YOOUUUUU

That was me singing. It's my gift to you. The stopping signing I mean.

Lorrie Veasey said...

O Kiki-
I notice you said "stopping signing" ...
does that mean you were doing another interpretive dance?
Was the middle finger raised at any point in tribute to my fourth decade?

Anonymous said...

Great cards. Maybe you can use that portrait of you as a new profile picture. I am crazy about the neck. Scary, but beautiful at the same time. Happy birthday.

Bj in Dallas said...

I think you should now sport an eye patch in honor of CBoys rendition of how he views you...
with purple duck tape on your neck for the Banana's nice addition. Happy Freakin Bday-

and don't be crying about the 15th of the 30th cause soon I will be doin the 10th of the 40th. I will be the one at your door drunk in a clown suit...

Le said...

Happiest Birthday dear one !!

BJ DALLAS once said ....

"...and seh saw no reason to act her age ..."

I'd go with this - many happy hugs of the day le

Le said...

that was 'she' but maybe BJ told me after a wine or four ...

Le said...

hello Lorie - are you still there - your words have reached me in record time when I happen to be online too - I love that !!

you are my VIP follower - queen of the creative great mind subset ...

yep it is a standard widget - go to customise and then add a gadget - add the follower one and that is it - the pics come up by themselves ... don't ask me how - I don't do html ... ever.

At this point in time you have seven followers - I am one of them so it tells me you have seven - nice one girlfriend ... so go install and see us pop up and in so to speak ...

Also my dear arty one brissie girl did the banner - she is a star - uses free scrappng web based stuff - she will read this and post the details for sure - many hugs for now - off to bed - done birthday parties today and a trip to see friends camping in the bush - with snakes ... dearie me - all worn - I like my bush (ha ha) snake free - like New Zealand does it - le xoxoxo

Becky said...

I love their birthday tributes! And the purple duct tape is a special, extra-thoughtful touch!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday beautiful!

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

Hey - You Libran. My Bday is 9-30. September chicks rule.

kristin said...

Sorry I missed this post, but I was in CHICAGO (and too cheap to pay extra for internet) - and now I can certainly understand why you wouldn't hang around there for JUST ONE MORE DAY to meet moi!

Geesh, I would have made you a card, too. With glitter, even.

Hope you had a happy day! Did SHOY make you a card, too? :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lorrie! Personally, I think you are looking mahvelous on this anniversary of your 30th year.

But I want to know where you buy purple duct tape. I could use duct tape instead of Spanx to hold in all the droopy bits -- and I could get it to match my outfits in case it showed!

Ruby said...

Oh my, those cards are great! Penut birthdays from now on!

(I kind of want to hear about Frog and Toad are Friends after some wine... That sounds rather amusing!)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday oh waky one! Sorry this is late....hope it was Gawwwwshe darn fabulous!